Pyromancies are a type of Magic that deal with fire damage or give resistance to damage, scaling with Faith and Intelligence. The player can cast Pyromancies with all Flames as well as the White Hair Talisman. It has totally 30 pyromancies. The minimum Faith and Intelligence are needed to apply all pre-DLC spells is 25 of both of them. Most of pyromancies can be bought after giving Merchants – a Key Item called a Tome.
How to make and use a good Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build?
1. The Stats
The most essential thing about Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build are Intelligence and Faith, implying that pyromancies will scale in both stats with C/C, but I found that pyros scale more with Faith than Intelligence, (Fth x1.4 / Int x1.0) and pyros asks Int investment.
The hardcaps are in 45/45 and softcaps are in 35/35, but pyromancies need many attunement slots since the most useful pyromancies require 2 slots.
Dexterity can be listed as a good stat to update, dexterity indicates more casting speed (it caps at 15 dex with Sage’s Ring +2) so what do you prefer? More Ring investment or more Stats investment?
Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build is short range casters so that they can apply melee.
2. The Builds
Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build has a lot of build types, your starting class will be the pyromancer class
Here are the most efficient builds in the Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build:
- Full Pyro
|Str: 12||SL: 125|
|Dex: 9||Vig: 30|
|Int: 40||Att: 40|
|Fth: 40||End: 28|
|Lck: 7||Vit: 8|
You’ll be pure caster, get damage with pyros and spam them to gain more slots.
- Melee Pyro
You can use chaos blade and various Dex weapons, you’ll not deal with more fire damage but it’s quite decent. Carthus Flame Arc with katanas or curved swords should be used.
- Classic Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build:
In this build you should use Demon’s first, Lorian Greatsword, Demon Greataxe, and Old Demon king Greathammer, the fire hard caps are in 25/25, you can diminish it to 20/20 and invest in Str or End, Fire Clutch Ring and Favor Ring are suggested.
- Mix Pyro
Using this build you can hit powerfully with spells or some useful weapons like Longsword, Great Corvian Scythe, and Witch’s Locks.
3. The Spells
Spells are the core “weapon” for casters, but almost the spells are short range or assisted by melee weapons.
Pyromancies deal with fire damage, but there are 3 pyromancies in the Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build, which are able to deal with dark damage, so switching damage kinds is always an optimal idea against shields.
(Remember that Chaos always equals to “better”).
3.1. Short Range
- Flame whip
This spell is typically underrated, but I ensure that it is a real MONSTER!
If you hit with its full flame, you’ll approach to the strongest damage per spell level for pyros, but it is so simple to dodge this spell.
(For spell tactics, go and see point fifth)
- Great Combustion and Dark Flame
These kinds of spells have small range, but they give massive damage and they are also awesome for spamming!
Dark Flame does Dark Damage and Great Combustion does Fire Damage.
- Fire Surge
This spell is hard-speed, difficult to punish and catch rolls at an easy way! Use it with moderation, faces small damage, but it may be the best thing to go against Denial users or to finish someone.
- Sacred Flame
Do you remember Gwyn catch you and finishing you? YOU CAN DO THAT NOW!
This spell is such a BADASS, the high level of fire damage and the hit box is typical good for a grabbing move.
This spell is so simple to punish and roll, but acts nice against panic rollers, you cannot hit with that after a guardbreak or parry, but the casting time is so slow. Unluckily this spell doesn’t have hyperarmor, so Iron Flesh will feel good with this.
- Seething Chaos
Throws a mine in the middle range (direct attack causes medium fire damage and it won’t explode), after a few seconds, it will explode causing serious fire damage in a mid range. However, it’s too slow and narrow space, besides, this spell is also amazing in team fights and brawls.
- Flame Fan
Summons a huge fire fan in melee range, the second hit makes a counter attack, it is quite slow but it is suitable for roll catches. Basically it is the same as a farron flash sword but slower & stronger; besides, it leaves a fire trail during swinging animations.
3.2. Medium Range:
- Fire Orb, Chaos Fire Orb, and Black Fire Orb:
These spells are the original pyro spell. You make a Fire Ball in your hands and then throw it, low range, then medium casting time, and great damage. However, they can be monsters if you know about the Free-Aim technique, especially with the Chaos Fire Orb.
- Fire Orb makes a big fire ball with fire damage
- Dark Fire Orb makes a big fire ball but with dark damage
- Great Chaos Fire Orb: INSANE fire damage and creates a lava pool where it reaches, and also moderate fire damage.
- Chaos Storm
This spell is not good that DS1 and 2 versions, but fairly, it works nice, I don’t recommend Fire Tempest and Fire Storm since the damage is truly bad.
Builds many fire pillars around the caster, dealing fire damage and launching massive lava pools, the victims of this spell will be blown to the air for just a couple of seconds.
3.3. Long Range:
- Floating Chaos: Well, this spell is not crazy like the Demon Clerics, but, it is also nice. This spell sucks if you cast it alone, so the best thing to do is casting with another spell. Creating a Medium floating fire ball which shoots 3 small fire balls rapidly, dealing with normal fire damage.
- Chaos Bed Vestiges: This is the second powerful damaging spell, uses 2 slots, makes a “sun” and puts it to long distances, launches massive fire damage and explosions; this spell can be predictable, if you lock on your rivals, it will record a shorter range, so free aim should be used. Overall, this spell has a high damage, speed, and reach.
- Black Serpent
Build a black flame trail, deal with medium dark damage, as well as a great stun. This spell has an incredible homing ability and it can travel across barriers, it also has a fast casting.
This spell isn’t suitable for damaging, it is for punish panic rollers and reach people. It is truly a support spell (like floating chaos) for another weapon or spell.
It would be great for finish a foe or spamming.
4. The Equipment
Your original tool will be the Pyromancy Flame, you can select between below 4 catalysts in this part of Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build:
- Pyromancy Flame – the best damage output and scale
- Pyromancer Parting Flame – reduce damage but it will be more powerful with a closing distances.
- White Hair Talisman – low damage and low scale, you can cast pyromancies and miracles with this talisman, but it’s not suggested; it lacks of poise but you can add pyros into miracles.
- Demon Scar – Scimitar which can cast pyromancies but it contains lower damage rather than the Pyromancy Flame.
Necessary equipment in Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build:
- Choice armor, armor isn’t much important for Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build for lacking of hyperarmor, just put your preferred set (fast roll is good)
- Rings: Great Swamp Ring and Obviously Fire Witch Ring
- Choice rings: Darkmoon ring (2 free slots)
- Chloranthy ring: Better stamina regen
- Sage Ring: better cast speed (only for pure pyromancers, if you go with Dex, this ring becomes useless)
Clutch rings are useless in PvP, but they are useful in PvE:
- Raw infussion for weapons you wish to buff with some spells.
- Chaos/Dark Infussions have good damage without any buff due to the scales
After some researches, infussion is proven to be better for normal attacks (R1s, R2s, weapon arts, running, and rolling attacks as well) and the chaos of infussion is suitable for critical damage (parry, backstab, and guardbreak)
- Fire/Deep infussions belong to low level builds.
- Chaos Longsword: high DPS and perfect scaling/move set, incredible for offensive pyromancers.
- Chaos Broadsword: it has a higher DPS than Chaos Longsword, but its moveset and range are negligible.
- Chaos Lothric Knight Straight Sword: it has a higher range than 2 previous weapons, poke R2s and critical damage (110), but it has less damage.
- Chaos Harpe: medium DPS, rapid moveset, piercing attacks, and a quickstep weapon art
- Witch’s Locks: an investment in dex is recommended; this weapon has a huge range, damage and moveset, it is perfect for defensive pyromances.
- Chaos Thrall Axe: a good and sensitive moveset, a high DPS and evasive weapon art; it can be offensive as well as defensive, it also catch rolls quickly.
- Chaos Astora Greatsword: it hits hard despite of low weight, thrust attacks and hyperarmor, so a medium armor is strongly recommended.
- Chaos Corvian Scythe: Shield piercing, Decent Range, good damage/moveset, and Weapon Art offers you hyperarmor and powerful damage, it requires an investment in Str and Dex.
- Chaos winged spear: not suggested, it has a good defensive range, but damage is low.
- +Onyx Blade: it is more a hexer weapon than a pyromancer weapon, but both classes are “similar”, it has WELL-DONE range, thrust attacks, hyperarmor, self-buff weapon art, and perfect damage.It requires a little bit of investment in Str.
- Demon Greataxe, Fists, Greathammer, and Lorian GS: only use for melee pyromancers with 25/25 in Fth and Int, only for hybrid builds.
- Chaos Uchigatana: they don’t have much damage/scaling but activate well, they have good moves and low stamina consumption, as well as low investments, you can apply Carthus Flame Arch for better damage.
- Chaos Scimitar: good damage, excellent, fast moveset, and low weight.
- Chaos Dagger: this is a must-to-use weapon because of recent patches, this weapon becomes meta, one shots SL120 builds even with a backstab and hornet ring; it eliminates low SL’s.
- Murky Hand Scythe: A dagger with low weight, piercing properties, innate dark damage, quickstep weapon art, perfect dark scaling, and good damage. It can be buffed and infused; but it limits critical damage.
- Chaos Claymore: it includes one of the best scaling in the great sword class, good moveset, damage & range, and gives hyperarmor on 2H attacks.
- Chaos Greatsword: It is buffed on patches, this infussion offers A/A scaling, this great sword has an excellent hyperarmor and massive damage. This Ultra Greatsword is unique as it’s the only UGS that the 2nd R1 can be chased with the 3rd R1 on the stun, so it has a considerable advantage.
- Dark/Deep Carthus Shotel/Carthus Curved Sword/Shotel: damage against shield turtles.
- Demon Scar: It doesn’t deal powerful damage, but that’s not the main point, this weapon is amazing because:
- The short scimitar moveset
- The 110 additional critical damage
- The pure fire damage
- A low weight
- A catalyst thanks to this weapon you can chain r1’s into spells even rapidly, that is the main characteristic of the Demon Scar!
- Grass Crest Shield: You’ll get the stamina bonus and a free useful ring bonus.
- Black Knight Shield: typical high stability, defence, and low Str investment
- Leather Shield: low weight and lots of Parry Frames
- Items: 4 Ashen Estus is suitable for a invassion, Green Blossom (you will not need Choranthy Ring and Grass Crest Shield), Duel Charms (diminish the enemy’s DPS) and Bloodred Bloss Clump (against bleed builds/using Corvian Scythe)
5. Techniques and Combos
If you prefer being an efficient Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build, you’ll want to learn the free aiming art, an ancient technique by tryhard monsters and DS1 pyromancers.
Free aim is “Lock off “ your opponents; if you lock on, your spells will be a VERY SHORT range spell, so they will be predictable. Free aiming is easy for Keyboard users.
- Chaos Fire Orb technique is the most well-known and easy to do, basically you’ll have to guess the foe’s rolls, if they are rolling to you, then shot your ball near your feet, if they are rolling to the right, then shot the ball to the right, it can be applied to Chaos Vestiges and Dark Orb, but those spells don’t create the lava pool.
- Fire Surge is proper for “transform”, relating to a defensive enemy player switch to the offensive player; let’s use short range or sensitive weapons. Use fire surge constantly then change to the long sword or the Dark Flame; if they make defensive play style again, please use fire surge again.
- Fire Whip is amazing if you use free aiming, especially in ganks, which give your back to your rivals. When you cast, it LOCK HIM in the right moment and he will be attacked by the spell, Surprise factor is necessary with this spell.
- Black Serpent is the perfect spell to go against panic rolls, so you can cast it; when they approach, use black flame; when they roll away, use Chaos Vestiges or a different Black Serpent, this spell is good for Floating Chaos.
- Sacred Flame is an incredible spell but it is hard to place it. This spell is viable with Witch’s Locks. Use a normal R1 with the whip, then cast sacred flame. You can use Iron Flesh to get poise then take them, but you must be careful with the lighting and damage, you may use several heavy armor pieces, then cast Iron Flesh while using Thrall Axe WA.
- Black Flame/Great Combustion are spam spells that create massive damage, Pyromancer’s Parting Flame is highly suggested, Black Flame is one of the best guardbreaker spells, particularly with Parting Flame. You should try R1 with Longsword plus Black Flame for a massive damage.
- Chaos Storm is useful in close places, you can cast it whereas camping behind a wall for a sudden attack.
- Chaos Bed Vestiges is very predictable, but it consists a quick casting speed, so use it whereas they are attacking/ when you attack someone with Floating Chaos, Black Serpent or after a combo. Otherwise, you can guess their rolls to punish their heal.
Advice for you
Pyromancy of Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build is not influenced by any stats, eventually Intelligence. Your Pyromancy Flame weapon is directly improved at trainers at a later point in the gameplay. Therefore, you should upgrade the stats that enhance your live, for e.g: Vitality (extra hit points) and Endurance (more stamina, defensive stats, equip load).
Although you should not ignore Vitality, you should plan to cap Endurance at 40 points ASAP. At 40 points any extra Endurance won’t be added to your Stamina (green bar).
You should distribute points on Strength and Dexterity to meet the mini-weapon requirements to wield them. Finally, in Dark Souls 3 Pyromancer Build, Faith and Intelligence improve Sorceries and Miracles, so do not care about them.